Or maybe I should have said movin\’ in. As you may or may not know, I currently live with my parents on the northeast side. We used to be accompanied by my sister and her adorable little baby, but she has since moved out and into an apartment in Kyle with her husband, so right now it\’s just my parents and I. Our lease runs out in July so I had a decision to make. Do I continue to reside with my parents which has its own set of pros and cons or do I move out on my own? Oh, I forgot the best part. My brother and sister-in-law and their two cats are also moving in with my parents so they can go to school up here in Austin (and really, who doesn\’t want to be in Austin). So, what would you decide?
Personally, I chose to keep living with everyone for a couple of reasons:
1. I\’m extremely extroverted and love being around a lot of people so I think that while it will sometimes be frustrating and overwhelming, for the most part I think it will be good for my social health to have a lot of people around.
2. Frankly, some things are just easier living with my parents. They are retired and they take care of a lot of housekeeping things during the day (cleaning, laundry, making dinner). When I come home from work, I have laundry done and a hot meal on the table. It\’s kind of nice.
3. I get to save a lot of money. All that money I would have paid on rent and food can now go directly into the wedding (or the Fuhrever fund). It\’s nice to have some time to build up something, especially cause weddings are a little bit pricey.
4. Speaking of wedding, I\’m getting married in about 7 months at which point I\’m assuming I\’ll be moving anyways. No sense in signing a lease for a year now when I have no idea where I will be come January/February.
4. I truly love my family and while it will be hectic at some times and I know some people will think I am just downright crazy for doing this, this allows me an amazing opportunity to spend a lot of quality time with my family before I get married.
Oh and the best part is, Evan is actually going to be living there too. Yes, 6 Adults, 5 cars, 4 bedrooms, 2 cats, 1 dog and a regularly visiting baby. It might not be the best choice for everyone, but it\’s the right choice for me.
My dad got the keys today and I went over there after work to see it and start moving stuff in and overall I loved it.
Things I loved:
1. Ceiling fans in every room. We don\’t have fans now. In Texas, that is not okay.
2. I am in love with the area. Right now, we are living in a much more rural area of town where there are lots of lower socioeconomic families that are trying to gain entrance to middle class. Things are spread out here. There\’s farmland nearby. We are moving to the south and it\’s a lot more urban and happening. Things are closer together. There seems to be more going on. Plus it\’s in a more reputable area of the city.
3. There are a plethora or outlets at this place. Like tons!
4. The house is well kept up and the neighborhood is well kept up. It definitely feels nice.
5. The living area is a lot more spacious than I thought it was and there are actually two living areas a living room and a \”man-cave\”.
Things I\’m not to thrilled about:
1. There\’s no carpet. At all. While this is probably a good thing, especially with the cats, I think I\’m going to need rugs.
2. The bedrooms are pretty small. They are all basically the same size, but there is not a lot of room to really be in. Hopefully this will force me to keep it clean, but who knows.
3. I wish there was a 3rd bathroom. Right now there will be at minimum 3 people per bathroom (that\’s if someone else uses the master bathroom for showers and stuff). I\’ve done it before, but it\’s a challenge, especially when people have to be in a certain place at a certain time.
4. There are also a lot of cars, so we will have to be very contentious of how we park and we will probably have to do some moving around to get the car you want.
5. I think the commute will be worse for me. From what I understand going from South Austin has more traffic than coming from North Austin, due to the river and having to go more through downtown. Because I work at the university, I will have to actually go north of downtown and I have a feeling it will take a while.
So that\’s it. I\’m going to be packing/moving my things over the next couple of weeks. See you on the south side!
1 thought on “Movin\’ Out”
I love the word “Fuhrever” 🙂 And it sounds like a fun little adventure to live with so many people!